The above is the headline of an article on October 21, 2012, from the Herald Online, a publication that serves the Bloomington Minnesota area. The article begins by noting that each year October is Chiropractic Awareness month. As a special remembrance of this occasion, the Minnesota Chiropractic Association issued a release about the benefits of chiropractic for senior citizens.
Dr. Christian Kollar, president of the MCA, noted, “Seniors who utilize chiropractic care experience fewer symptomatic chronic conditions, less days in hospitals and nursing homes and more mobility than elderly non-chiropractic patients.”
In addition to chiropractic care, the Minnesota Chiropractic Association created what they called a “daily anti-aging checklist” of things seniors can do to help improve their health and quality of life.
This list includes:
- Make sure to keep your body moving every day, even if it’s just walking at the mall, up and down stairs at work, or taking a stroll around the block. Exercise is key to living a long and healthy life.
- Hydration is important for cellular functioning, so make sure you drink liquids regularly throughout the day.
- The nutrients in plant-based foods are essential for health and wellness. Eat plenty of vegetables and low-sugar fruits every day.
- Incorporate a diet that is rich in fiber which can help slow the aging process.
- Don’t underestimate the fun factor. Take time to have fun with your friends and loved ones. Social support and positive experiences have been seen in studies to be beneficial to health.
- Rest is necessary for your body to run optimally.
The Minnesota Chiropractic Association also stressed the importance and reasoning behind seniors receiving regular chiropractic care by saying, “The MCA encourages seniors to see a chiropractor regularly. Chiropractic adjustments can correct spinal and extremity misalignments in addition to reducing nerve irritation, improving circulation and release muscle tension, which all help the body return to a balanced, relaxed state. Chiropractic care can also have a positive impact on your health by aiding in preventing a variety of health problems in the future.”